Next weekend (Sunday 30th September) sees the annual Taste North event taking place at Natural Retreats at John O’Groats, and I for one am excited to see many Highland businesses under one roof!
Over 30 businesses will gather to show off their products, whether that be food, drinks, art, or jewellery. Last year’s event saw more than 1000 people attend Caithness & Sutherland’s annual celebration of the local larder and artisan producers, and it’s my first Taste North experience, so I’m excited to see what’s on offer!
I’ve had a look at the exhibitor line up and there are some of my favourite local products that are staples in our household; namely Caithness Chocolate, Dunnet Bay Distillers and Puffin Croft vegetable box deliveries in the winter season. But here’s a round up of five “new to me” businesses that I’ll be making sure I visit over the course of the day!
- Wild Highland Drinks Co – serving up fizz and beers with a Highland twist, direct from the wee dram van AKA a vintage Indian Tuk Tuk! I’ve been following this business over at Instagram for while now, so I’m glad I’ll get to see them in action!
- Saladworx – with a farm shop based right on the A9 by Dornoch, organically grown salad produce and award-winning dressings!
- Lindsay Gallacher Studio & Workshop – again another business with a strong Instagram presence, I’m keen to get an up-close look of Lindsay’s scratchboard art items.
- Shore Seaweed – this looks like a really new Caithness business, producing snacks using locally sourced seaweed!
- Zepice Ltd – with autumn and winter just around the corner, comforting flavoursome food can be enhanced with these roasted spice mixes!
As well as the Taste North Exhibitor’s Market which will offer everyone the opportunity to sample food from local eateries and producers, taste local tipples and see an array of artisan crafts from right here in Caithness & Sutherland. For families there will be plenty of children’s entertainment and various opportunities for them to get their hands sticky and learn where their food comes from, and for adults there will be cooking demonstrations and cocktail masterclasses.
Special guest, chef Tony Singh will be Master of Ceremonies throughout the day, sharing his wealth of expertise in several Taste North masterclasses and will serve as Head Judge for the adjudication panel in the annual Taste North Challenge which this year has a baking theme – if you’re quick you can get your entry registered by this Saturday 22nd September!
(Thanks to Taste North who allowed me to use their exhibitor images in this post)